[BioC] present/absent on 2-color oligo arrays

Samuel Wuest wuests at tcd.ie
Sat Jan 31 14:55:38 CET 2009

Hi Naomi,

I am doing work on AffyChips, but my samples are from amplified
material with inputs from around 500pico - few nanogram range; I found
that the Affy-Algorithmus "MAS5 calls" was not very happy with this
type of data and thus compared expression values on the chip with an
empirical negative-distribution (background-distribution), please
refer to people.brandeis.edu/~dtaylor/Taylor_Papers/BIBE07_PANP.pdf
for details (or the Bioconductor-package panp)... I worked on the
Arabidopsis chip, and there are "negative" probes on the chip: probes
that do not match DNA sequences from newer genome releases anymore...
I found that by combining the panp-strategy and the information on
negative probes on the chip, I could generate precise and relatively
accurate predictions on the expression state of a gene (I can't give
you all the details so far).

So if there are negative controls/negative probes on the array, you
could use them to generate an empirical background-distribution for
each array and then compare your other signals to this.... Depends on
how many negative probes you'd have... The method works well with the
Affy HGU133-series, please refer to the above mentioned sources...

Hope this helps??

Best, Sam