[BioC] Normalization of bi-modal expression data

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Feb 6 21:21:00 CET 2009

Dear Christian

the common normalisation methods assume that the normalisation between
arrays involve one common transformation (linear in the case of median
scaling, affine linear in the case of vsn with default parameter
'calib', local polynomial in the case of loess, non-parametric rank
based in the case of quantile normalisation). I listed these in some
order of flexibility.

However, if you have two distinct populations of intensities, I would
recommend first finding out the origin for those - try to look for
associations of these two  populations with all sorts of feature
parameters (annotation, spatial position on the array) and make sure
there is no show-stopper quality problem. Once you have that, the proper
normalisation (perhaps stratified)  will follow from that.

Just applying one single overall transformation might be OK, but it
could lead to distortions and inefficiency.

  Best wishes
	Wolfgang