[BioC] arrayQualityMetrics - how do I use this with an MAList object???

Marcus Davy mdavy at hortresearch.co.nz
Mon Sep 15 01:57:53 CEST 2008

Yes, looks like there is a problem with your version of the convert package
not being able to coerce an 'MAList' into an 'ExpressionSet'. However, I
think here you want to be coercing into an object instance of class
'NChannelSet'  as you have more than one channel on each slide.

>  showMethods("coerce", classes=c(from="RGList"))
Function: coerce (package methods)
from="RGList", to="NChannelSet"  # Can transform from an RGList only
from="RGList", to="marrayRaw"
from="marrayRaw", to="RGList"

>  showMethods("coerce", classes=c(from="MAList"))
Function: coerce (package methods)
from="MAList", to="ExpressionSet"
from="MAList", to="marrayNorm"
from="marrayNorm", to="MAList"

You can backtransform an MAList into an RGList using 'RG.MA' to then coerce
into an NChannelSet.

>> x <- new("MAList")
>> x$M <- testRed
>> x$A <- testGreen
>> x$targets = testTarget
>> y <- as(x,"ExpressionSet")
>> z <- as(x,"NChannelSet")

z <- as(RG.MA(x), "NChannelSet")

arrayQualityMetrics(expressionset = z,
                          outdir = file.path("Metrics","z"),
                          force = TRUE,
                          do.logtransform = TRUE,
                          split.plots = FALSE,
                          intgroup = "RNAintegrity")

Incidentally I've noticed that the function plotMA in limma is masked by one
identically named from the package dependency 'beadarray' loaded by
'arrayQualityMetrics'.

> find("plotMA")
[1] "package:beadarray" "package:limma"

> limma::plotMA(x)
> X11()
> beadarray::plotMA(x)

This can cause some confusion as both functions are drawing similar MA
plots.

Marcus