[BioC] LogFC in Limma

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Oct 25 03:58:43 CEST 2008

Dear Kevin,

After sending my previous reply, I re-read your email and realized your
question is probably about a coefficient from lmFit() rather than a
question about your probe replicates.

It is impossible to give you a definite answer because you haven't told us
what what your design is or what logFC(1) is measuring, what model you're
fitting, whether you used contrasts.fit and so on.  Ordinarily, people
will give enough code to make these things clear.

Since you appear to have at least three columns in your design matrix, it
seems rather unlikely that logFC(1) could be a simple average of all the
arrays.

Also, do you have quality weights in your data or blocks in your fit?  In
these cases, limma will compute weighted averages, which are not the same
as ordinary averages.

Best wishes
Gordon