[BioC] duplicate correlation of 4 "within array replicates" limmaGUI

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Oct 15 03:34:53 CEST 2008

Dear Christine,

If your arrays truly consist of four subarrays, with each subarray having
identical probes in the same arrangement, then the spacing between
duplicates is 1/4 of the total number of spots, i.e.,

    spacing <- nrow(MA)/4

According to your previous email, your data has 5632 rows, so the spacing
is 5632/4=1408.  Note that each of your meta blocks has 32 spots, so the
spacing represents the eight metablocks making up one subarray, that is
8*32=1408.

The limma documention tells you that spacing represents the number of rows
in the data object or GAL file separating the replicate arrays.  This is
not the same as the number of rows or columns which you count in a
straight line on the image, as you seem to be assuming.

I'm sorry that getLayout() didn't correctly deduce the spacing for you.
The function was written mainly with ndups=2 in mind.

Best wishes
Gordon