[BioC] p.adj and logFC

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Sat Oct 4 22:27:57 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 7:58 PM, Yisong Zhen <zhenyisong at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> My understanding for the p.adjust from the R help page is that  it is
> adjusted by number of comparison.
> I mean, if I filter genes (below certain expression threshold) before I
> carry out multiple testing, the p.adjust would be decreased.
> But how do we set the threshold for p.adjust, <=0.05?

p.adjust has an argument for the type of adjustment.  You need to
specify that.  If you specify 'fdr" for false discovery, then it makes
sense to use a larger cutoff for significance, depending on your
needs.  Keep in mind that an fdr is interpreted with respect to a LIST
OF GENES.  So a false discovery rate of 0.2, for example, means that
20% of the genes that occur in the list up to that point are likely
false discoveries.  You can see how a cutoff of 0.05 might not make
sense in this situation, depending on your needs.

> If so, the MKG.56.34.1_at (probe in our array comparison, de facto
> decreasing expressed gene)  will not be statistically significant, although
> its fold changes reach about 6. Then how do we interpret this result?

It is possible to have a high fold change without statistical
significance if the variability in the measure is also high.

Sean