[BioC] Overlay Density Plot for FlowSet

Florian Hahne fhahne at fhcrc.org
Fri Oct 3 22:31:57 CEST 2008

Hi Aric,
I don't fully understand what you are trying to plot. Is your data
one-dimensional, i.e., do you want to compare the densities (or
histograms) of a single fluorescence parameter for several tubes? Then
the densityplot function should be able to do that:

densityplot(name ~ `FL2.W`, CD3.4.fp3Live.subset[c(1,5)])

You say that CD3.4.fp3Live.subset is already a subset of the original
data and I am not sure which gate you want to add to this plot. Also you
don't say what type of gate you applied. Assuming that g is the gate you
used to filter and subset CD3.4.fp3Live, resulting in
CD3.4.fp3Live.subset, and that you filtered on the FL2.W parameter, you
could add the gate to your plot like this:

densityplot(name ~ `FL2.W`, CD3.4.fp3Live[c(1,5)], filter=g)

If the gate is not on FL2.W there isn't a reasonable way to add the gate
to the one-dimensional density plot.  And if CD3.4.fp3Live.subset is the
result of your gating it doesn't make much sense, either. It would be in
the empty region of the plot.

In the 2D situation you can't easily overlay xyplots, but  you can plot
them in a trellis layout adding the gate as argument "filter" similar to
the previous densityplot example. However, you can overlay contour plots:

cols <- rainbow(3, alpha=0.1)
contour(CD3.4.fp3Live[c(1,5)], col=cols, fill=cols)

Let me know if that doesn't address your problem. Also please provide
the output of sessionInfo() in future posts, it's much easier to answer
questions if we know the R and package versions you are working on.

Florian

Aric Gregson wrote:
> Apologies if this is obvious or has already been discussed, but I am
> struggling with how to do this from within flowCore/Viz using R 2.7.0.
>
> I have filtered and subseted the data now that I would like to plot an
> overlay density plot of a full fluorescence tube over a FMO tube and
> demonstrate the positive gate. I have been able to construct a not so
> interesting histogram plot as below:
>
> plot(CD3.4.fp3Live.subset[[1]], "FL2.W", breaks=256, col=c("black"),
> main="Overlay Plot FMO for CCR7\nFMO (CCR7-) Blue\nFull Fluorescent
> Tube (CCR7+) Black")
> plot(CD3.4.fp3Live.subset[[5]], "FL2.W", breaks=256, col=c
> ("dodgerblue"), add=T)
>
> But there is no indication of the gate and the histograms are difficult
> to read in this manner.
>
> Another option that may work to visualize this, would be to overlay dot
> plot with xyplot and show the gate somehow. But this is beyond me
> currently.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
>
> aric

Florian Hahne, PhD