[BioC] Using GenomeGraphs effectively for generating publication quality pictures

steffen at stat.Berkeley.EDU steffen at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Nov 26 05:51:21 CET 2008

Hi Daren,

> 1) How to include the cytoband information e.g. 4q to the ideogram ? How
> to label the gene in the cytoband with "IL8" ?

Currently you can not include cytoband information on the ideogram.   How
would you want this to look like?

> 2) What colour is actually used by gene and transcript ? I have created a
> legend with "orange" and "lightblue", but the colour doesn't look the
> same.

You can set your own colors for these by the DisplayPars function when
creating genes and transcripts, e.g.:

gene <- new("Gene", id = "TP53", type="hgnc_symbol", biomart = mart,
dp=DisplayPars(color="green"))

By default the colors are orange for genes and cornflowerblue for
transcripts.

> 3) How to make the legend a single line ? Currently, the words are below
> the boxes

This is hard-coded at this point.

> 4) I have affy U133A, exon 1.0ST and agilent 44K probes to map to the
> gene. How can I do that ?

I think all these platforms are in Ensembl so you could use biomaRt to
link them to the Ensembl Gene id. Here's an example:

library(biomaRt)
mart = useMart("ensembl", dataset="hsapiens_gene_ensembl")
map = getBM(c("ensembl_gene_id", "affy_hg_u133a"), filters =
"affy_hg_u133a", values=c("209718_at","221633_at"), mart=mart)

>map
  ensembl_gene_id affy_hg_u133a
1 ENSG00000025770     209718_at
2 ENSG00000025770     221633_at

> 5) How to space the numbers away from the genomeAxis so that it looks less
> clustered ?

This is hard-coded at this time as well.

Hope this helps.
Steffen