[BioC] error with get(getOption("device")) in maanova with R 2.8.0

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Nov 12 10:52:40 CET 2008

Rob Tempelman ha scritto:
> I downloaded the latest version of maanova (version 1.12.0) from bioconductor that is presumably designed to work with R 2.8.0.  However, upon using some of the functions (say gridcheck on the dataset kidney provided with the package), I get the following error message:
>
>> data(kidney)
>> gridcheck(kidney.raw)
>
> Error in get(getOption("device")) : invalid first argument
>

> It is my understanding that all of the get(getOption("device")) commands now need to be replaced by dev.new() in R 2.8.0.  If so, could this be done with this particular package?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob Tempelman

Hi Rob,

just a guess, but you or the authors of maanova might find it
instructive to check the R 2.8 release notes "CHANGES IN R VERSION
2.8.0": http://cran.at.r-project.org/src/base/NEW

The 'factory-fresh' defaults for options("device") have been
	changed to refer to the devices as functions in the grDevices
	namespace and not as names.  This makes it more likely that
	the incorrect (since R 2.5.0) assumption in packages that
	get(getOption("device"))() will work will catch users of those
	packages.

Best wishes
      Wolfgang