[BioC] applicability of tilingArray package

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Nov 4 18:36:16 CET 2008

Hi Michael,

there are two separate issues:
(i) finding the transcribed regions, separately in each of the samples
(wt, mut).
(ii) finding the differentially transcribed regions.

For (i), you could use an approach similar to that in the David et al.
and Huber et al. papers. Since you don't have the DNA reference hybes,
you could use the MM probes. This is described in Section 4.2 of the
vignette
http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.3/bioc/vignettes/tilingArray/inst/doc/assessNorm.pdf
and as the benchmarks in Section 5 show, it is not quite as good, but
still pretty good.

Don't think of this in terms of "normalising" the mutant against the
"wt" type, that doesn't make much sense.

For (ii), if you want to segment e.g. a probe-wise (moderated)
t-statistic, the piecewise constant model using in the tilingArray
package is not useful. A running window approach (like in TAS) makes
sense, the hard part is of course tuning its parameters.

AfaIk, there are methods for (i) and (ii) separately, and to join /
align them, the approaches are ad hoc. It would be nice if there were a
clean method that does (i) and (ii) jointly - maybe someone else has
insights in this?

Best wishes
 Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber  EBI/EMBL  Cambridge UK  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber

04/11/2008 16:42 Michael Palumbo scripsit