[BioC] Finding genes with significant linear regression or trend

Kevin R. Coombes krcoombes at mdacc.tmc.edu
Tue May 20 16:02:09 CEST 2008

As Sean said, depending on how many time points you have,  a linear
response may not be the best model. In fact, it is unclear that any
parametric model will work across all the genes in the data set.
Typically, you tend to be interested in genes that "increase over time"
or "decrease over time", without caring about the exact shape of the
function.  Similar ideas apply to dose response studies. You might want
to consider an approach using isotonic regression (which addresses
exactly this question), as described for microarrays in the paper:

Hu J, Kapoor M, Zhang W, Hamilton SR, Coombes KR. Analysis of
dose-response effects on gene expression data with comparison of two
microarray platforms. Bioinformatics. 2005 Sep 1;21(17):3524-9.

If you're interested, you can contact Jianhua Hu and ask her for the
code....

Best,
	Kevin