[BioC] Fwd: Question about normalizing one color Agilent array using loess

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Thu May 15 12:19:04 CEST 2008

Dear Eugene,

marray's and limma's so-called loess normalisation aim to adjust for
trends in the log-ratios (M) as a function of the log geometric mean
intensity (A), but are not designed to deal with spatial trends on your
arrays.

You will need to decide whether the data is worth trying to adjust for
such spatial trends computationally, by some other means, or whether you
call it a data quality problem and address it by improved experimental
procedures. Other people may be better qualified to advise on either of
these.

Best wishes
 Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber  EBI/EMBL  Cambridge UK  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber