[BioC] Error in .nextMethod(e1, e2) with updated R and bioC package on MAC OS

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sun Mar 30 18:38:59 CEST 2008

Hi Anat --

I think you've probably not been successful in updating your packages,
but it could be that affy or some other package is doing something it is
not supposed to do.

A possibility is that your attempt to update your Bioconductor packages
was not successful. A likely cause of this is that Biobase and other
packages were already loaded (e.g., because you automatically load it
when you start R) when you tried to update. You must start R WITHOUT
Files/R/R-2.6.2/bin/R --vanilla) and then

 >  source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
 >  update.packages(repos=biocinstallRepos(), ask=FALSE)

If there are messages saying something along the lines of 'package X
could not be installed because it is in use', that means the update was
not successful. Let us know if this is the case.

 From 'traceback', it looks like you're invoking read.phenoData as a
command from the R prompt. When I do

 > library(Biobase)
 > pd <- read.phenoData()

I get

Warning messages:
1: read.phenoData is deprecated, use read.AnnotatedDataFrame instead
2: The phenoData class is deprecated, use AnnotatedDataFrame (with
ExpressionSet

Is this what you get? You will want to pay attention to the warning
message, and use read.AnnotatedDataFrame instead of read.phenoData. This
might mean that the format of your input file needs to be changed.

If you see this with some other command, can you tell us exactly what
that command is?

After loading Biobase, my sessionInfo() is

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.6.2 Patched (2008-03-24 r44993)
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

locale:
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:
[1] tools     stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods
[8] base

other attached packages:
[1] Biobase_1.16.2

[1] rcompgen_0.1-17