[BioC] two-line labels in GO graphs

Robert Castelo robert.castelo at upf.edu
Thu Mar 20 12:41:42 CET 2008

hi Joern and Florian,

the perspective of having to upgrade Graphviz has sharpened my limited
bioconductor/Rgraphviz hacking capabilities and i've found the way to
get multi-line labels using my current version of RGraphviz. i post this
just in case is of interest to anybody.

the newline character '\n' i was giving to the separator 'sep' parameter
in the paste function should be written as '\\\n'. doing it this way my
former example works:

library(GOstats)
library(Rgraphviz)

goterms <- eapply(GOTERM,Term)
g <- GOGraph("GO:0016265",GOBPPARENTS)
g <- removeNode("all",g)
mt <- match(nodes(g),names(goterms))
nodattr <- makeNodeAttrs(g,label=paste(nodes(g),goterms[mt],sep="\\\n"),
                         shape="ellipse",fillcolor="#f2f2f2",
                         fixedsize=FALSE)
plot(g,nodeAttrs=nodattr)

... and no, writing '\\n' doesn't work.

i leave for the experts finding out why the backslash should be scaped
this way '\\\n'. i came across this using agopen and agwrite to write
myself a dot file to use my current version of graphviz in command-line
since i found out that it was indeed multi-line capable but then i saw
that in the dot file, the newline characters '\n' in the labels where
being interpreted instead of, let's say, quoted, so i just thgout of
trying to "escape".

best regards,

robert.