[BioC] How to get ENTREZID from Gene symbol in bioconductor

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Wed Mar 12 22:50:23 CET 2008

Srinivas Iyyer wrote:
> Dear group:
> I have a vector of gene symbols.
> I want to get EntrezID for those gene symbols.
> I want to use hgu133plus2 as my annotation
> environment.
>
> how can I do it.
>
> here is my vector:
>
> msba <- c('AURKA','CCNB2','TRIP13','EZH2','TYMS')
>
> when I have probesetid it is straightforward for me.
>
> thanks for your help.
>
> srini

#I would use this library to save a couple steps:

library(org.Hs.eg.db)

#then you can choose one of two options:
#use this if you are confident that your gene symbols are mainstream:
mget(msba, revmap(org.Hs.egSYMBOL))

#OR if you want to be more inclusive about your symbols you can also use
this:
mget(msba, org.Hs.egALIAS2EG)

#I see that in your case the 1st option is really better since you find
everything with that already.

# Marc