[BioC] Paired arrays and limma

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Mar 12 21:09:45 CET 2008

Hi John,

john seers (IFR) wrote:

> Hi James
>
> Thanks and thanks for your effort. I understand that mostly but I am
> still not sure what I can do setting up a design matrix and a contrasts
> matrix. I do not like the idea of losing flexibility so I would like to
> be able to do it all through limma.
>
> I want to be able to see the effects between the two diets and on the
> disease condition. Diet1 is a control diet and I would like to see the
> effects of Diet2. Also the difference between the Control and Disease
> conditions by diet.
>
> So if I do something like:
>

> Pairing<-factor(descr[,"Pairing"])
> Condition<-factor(descr[,"Condition"])
> Diet<-factor(descr[,"Diet"])
>
> design<-model.matrix(~ -1 + Diet + Condition + Pairing)
>
> Is that valid?

Theoretically yes.

> If I then run this line I get an error message. Can I ignore the error?
> Or has the lmFit failed?
>
> fit<-lmFit(eset, design)
>
> #(I get this error message: Coefficients not estimable: Pairing6
> Pairing9 )

It's not an error. It is a warning indicating that the design matrix you
specified isn't of full column rank. Simply put, you have more
parameters in your model than you have data to estimate with. What limma
is doing is removing the extra columns of the design matrix and then
fitting the model (along with the warning that you had an over-specified
model).

I'm sort of surprised that model.matrix will create such a design
matrix, but I have to assume there is a good reason.

I don't really understand the pairings you have below. By my count, each
paired sample got the same diet and had the same disease. In which case,
what's up with the paired samples? I assumed you had something like
control and diseased animals that you fed different diets at different
times (or maybe siblings or some other dependence structure), but this
doesn't seem to be the case.

I *was* going to say that you could just compute the differences between
the pairs (diet1 - diet2). Then it would be easy to get the
diet-specific genes for each type (control and disease), as well as the
interaction (genes that react differently to diet depending on the
disease status). But given how you describe the samples below I don't
think that is necessary, nor do I really understand what you are doing.

Best,

Jim

> Then I am not sure what contrasts I can make to get what I want. Can you
> suggest to me what would be some sensible choices?
>
> For instance, is this a valid contrast to show the difference between
> the two diets?
> contrast.matrix<-makeContrasts(DietDiet2 - DietDiet1, levels=design)
>

> Help appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> John Seers
>

>> colnames(design)
>  [1] "DietDiet1"        "DietDiet2"        "ConditionDisease"
> "Pairing10"        "Pairing11"        "Pairing12"        "Pairing13"
>
>  [8] "Pairing14"        "Pairing15"        "Pairing16"
> "Pairing17"        "Pairing18"        "Pairing19"        "Pairing2"
>
> [15] "Pairing20"        "Pairing21"        "Pairing22"
> "Pairing23"        "Pairing24"        "Pairing25"        "Pairing26"
>
> [22] "Pairing27"        "Pairing28"        "Pairing3"         "Pairing4"
> "Pairing5"         "Pairing6"         "Pairing7"
> [29] "Pairing8"         "Pairing9"
>

>> Pairing
>  [1] 1  1  2  2  3  3  4  4  5  5  6  6  7  7  8  8  9  9  10 10 11 11
> 12 12 13 13 14 14 15 15 16 16 17 17 18 18 19 19 20 20 21 21 22 22 23
> [46] 23 24 24 25 25 26 26 27 27 28 28
> Levels: 1 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 2 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 3 4
> 5 6 7 8 9
>
>> Diet
>  [1] Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2
> Diet2 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1
> [23] Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2
> Diet2 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2 Diet1 Diet1 Diet2 Diet2
> [45] Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet1 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2 Diet2
> Diet2
> Levels: Diet1 Diet2
>
>> Condition
>  [1] Control Control Control Control Control Control Control Control
> Control Control Control Control Disease Disease Disease Disease Disease
> [18] Disease Disease Disease Disease Disease Disease Disease Disease
> Disease Disease Disease Disease Disease Disease Disease Disease Disease
> [35] Disease Disease Disease Disease Control Control Disease Disease
> Disease Disease Disease Disease Control Control Disease Disease Disease
> [52] Disease Disease Disease Control Control
> Levels: Control Disease
>

> ---
> Web sites:
>
> www.ifr.ac.uk