[BioC] Asking again: AnnotationDbi and GOstats - feed probe names to hyperGTest?

Johannes Graumann johannes_graumann at web.de
Wed Jun 25 09:59:50 CEST 2008

I asked this a while ago, but didn't get any further ...

I built an annotation package for a mouse IPI database using "AnnotationDbi"
(IPI.MOUSE.3.37.20080509.db) and am now putting it to use with "hyperGTests"
from "GOstats".
The annotation package mapps all IPI IDs as "probes" to the relevant
annotation data and I thought it should be possible to hand "geneIds" and
universeGeneIds in the form of probe names (here IPI IDs) to the hyperGTest
function. If I do so I always get the error:
# Error in getUniverseHelper(probes, datPkg, entrezIds) :
#  No Entrez Gene ids left in universe
If I use the annotation package to pre-convert the probes (IPI IDs) into
entrez-IDs everything's just fine ... Am I making a mistake or does this
not work inherently?

Thanks, Joh

params <- new(
        "GOHyperGParams",
        geneIds = BunchOfIPIIds,
        universeGeneIds = BiggerBunchOfIPIIds,
        annotation = IPI.MOUSE.3.37.20080509.db,
        ontology = "BP",
        pvalueCutoff = 1.0,
        testDirection = "over"
)