[BioC] Converting between old and new annotation packages?

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Tue Jun 24 18:08:50 CEST 2008

Jeff Gentry wrote:
> Hi there ...
>
> Is it possible to directly convert an old style annotation package to the
> new SQLite *.db style packages without rebuilding from scratch?  I didn't
> see anything when poking around and I'm guessing the answer ranges from
> "no" to "patches welcome" but figured it was worth a query.
>
> Thanks
> -J

Hi Jeff,

The short answer is no.

The slightly longer answer is that the new style of packages are much
more complex than the old ones because they each contain an actual
sqlite database. So you could convert from the new style package "down"
into one of the older style packages by querying the database and saving
the results as simple environments. But you cannot easily go in the
other direction.

We already support making new chip packages via SQLForge in the
AnnotationDbi package for most major model organisms. What did you need
this for?

Marc