[BioC] affyio version update problem

Kim Evans kim.evans at cpib.ac.uk
Tue Jun 10 17:48:43 CEST 2008

Hello

I have just managed to install Bioconductor on my Linux machine with the
help of my more computer savvy colleagues.  However, there was a
non-obvious problem that we needed to sort out.  I hope that by writing
this email I will save other people the time I've spent on it.

The problem was with the version of affyio that was being loaded.  The
information on the website about how to download Bioconductor does not
mention affyio.  What happened was that version 1.6 was automatically
found, but packages such as affy require version 1.8 or higher.
Presumably this is some problem with the way the references to updates
within Bioconductor are organised and updated.

Hope this is useful in making the download smoother for people.

Best wishes

Kim Evans