[BioC] nsFilter and GSEA

Paolo Innocenti paolo.innocenti at ebc.uu.se
Fri Jan 11 19:44:09 CET 2008

Dear Robert and BioC Mailing list,

The chips are Affymetrix Drosophila genome 1.0 (annotation drosgenome1).
I am even more confused: to make sure that was not my fault, I copied
the .CEL files in a new directory, started a fresh R session from there
and run *just* the following code. Same results:

 > library(affy)

Welcome to Bioconductor

   Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
   'openVignette()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
   'citation("Biobase")' and for packages 'citation(pkgname)'.

 > mydata <- ReadAffy()
 > eset.rma <- rma(mydata)
Background correcting
Normalizing
Calculating Expression
 > eset.mas <- mas5(mydata)
background correction: mas
PM/MM correction : mas
expression values: mas
background correcting...done.
14010 ids to be processed
|                    |
|####################|
 > library(genefilter)
 > eset.rma.f <- nsFilter(eset.rma)
 > eset.mas.f <- nsFilter(eset.mas)
 > eset.rma.f
$eset
ExpressionSet (storageMode: lockedEnvironment)
assayData: 171 features, 15 samples
   element names: exprs
phenoData
   sampleNames: dta_2a.CEL, dta_2b.CEL, ..., virgin_4b.CEL  (15 total)
   varLabels and varMetadata description:
     sample: arbitrary numbering
featureData
   featureNames: 147260_at, 142359_at, ..., 145988_at  (171 total)
   fvarLabels and fvarMetadata description: none
experimentData: use 'experimentData(object)'
Annotation: drosgenome1

$filter.log
$filter.log$numDupsRemoved
[1] 3

$filter.log$numLowVar
[1] 13047

$filter.log$feature.exclude
[1] 3

$filter.log$numRemoved.ENTREZID
[1] 786

 > eset.mas.f
$eset
ExpressionSet (storageMode: lockedEnvironment)
assayData: 12122 features, 15 samples
   element names: exprs, se.exprs
phenoData
   sampleNames: dta_2a.CEL, dta_2b.CEL, ..., virgin_4b.CEL  (15 total)
   varLabels and varMetadata description:
     sample: arbitrary numbering
featureData
   featureNames: 153135_at, 154994_at, ..., 152360_at  (12122 total)
   fvarLabels and fvarMetadata description: none
experimentData: use 'experimentData(object)'
Annotation: drosgenome1

$filter.log
$filter.log$numDupsRemoved
[1] 1098

$filter.log$numLowVar
[1] 1

$filter.log$feature.exclude
[1] 3

$filter.log$numRemoved.ENTREZID
[1] 786

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)
i486-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:
[1] splines   tools     stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets
[8] methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] drosgenome1_2.0.1    genefilter_1.16.0    survival_2.34
[4] drosgenome1cdf_2.0.0 affy_1.16.0          preprocessCore_1.0.0
[7] affyio_1.6.1         Biobase_1.16.1

[1] annotate_1.16.1     AnnotationDbi_1.0.6 DBI_0.2-4
[4] rcompgen_0.1-17     RSQLite_0.6-4

Could be the CEL files that are damaged?
Thanks,
best wishes,
Paolo