[BioC] Tiling arrays and their probes

Tue Apr 29 20:46:05 CEST 2008

Hi folks,

I just wanted to thank you for replying to my original message. I had
my gmail filters set up incorrectly to tag bioconductor mails and your
using to read gmail), so all this time I thought my questions were
going unanswered. I didn't want to give the impression that my silence
== ungratefulness.

So .. thanks again. I'll look into the hints that were given and
follow up with any more questions that I can't figure out.

> the CDF structure (i.e. file or package) is only useful if you want
> to analyse cDNA or RNA hybridisation tiling array data for overall
> mRNA abundances using the existing genome annotation. Most people
> use tiling arrays for additional tasks, e.g. transcript discovery
> and "fine-mapping", or ChIP-chip (you didn't say what your use case
> is).

Btw, I think what I'm doing probably falls into fine-mapping, for
now... although this is a new term to me, it sounds more like what I'm
after than transcript discovery for the moment.

> If you want to use the mapping provided by Affymetrix, then I think
> the "affxparser" package is a good start point, but for converting
> its output to a "probeAnno" object afaIk you're on your own (perhaps
> some good soul wants to contribute a function for that?)

Once I get passed that "fat-fingers" feeling I get as an R neophyte,
I'd be happy to contribute something like this back since its
something I think I might need for a first pass analysis, anyway.

Thanks,
-steve