[BioC] Help on Loading AgilentData into LIMMA

Jarno Tuimala jtuimala at csc.fi
Tue Apr 22 09:56:25 CEST 2008

Hi Wendy!

> No my files were not created with a genePix program. My raw data were
> obtained with agilent's Feature extraction. That was why I was using
> source="agilent"

Sorry, my mistake!

> I thought F635 and F532 were codes to imply foreground and background but I
> guess I was wrong. If my datafiles were not created with a GenePix program
> does that mean F635 and F532 does not apply? What should I use then?

Yes, F still stands for foreground, and B for background.

It seems that you have tried to read in your data with the following command:

> RG<-read.maimages("targets.txt", source="agilent",
columns=list(gBGMeanSignal="F635", gBGMeanSignal="F532",
bBGMedianSignal="B635 Median", bBGMedianSignal="B532 Median"),
annotation=c("Block", "Column", "Row", "Name", "ID"))

For limma, you need the specify the columns argument as:

columns=list(R="", G="", Rb"", Gb="")

There have to be an entry for each of R, G, Rb and Gb. Maybe this is the reason
for the error message.

> but I cannot put the only channel I have as both red and green channels as I
> only columns in my data for the green channel. i.e. I do not have a
> rBGMeanSignal or rBGMedianSignal.

And I meant is that you have to specify the same columns for both R and G and Rb
and Gb in the columns argument.

So, if your datafile is Agilent, something like this should work (you should
have columns gMeanSignal, gBGMedianSignal and ProbeName in your datafile):

RG<-read.maimages(files="targets.txt", columns=list(R="gMeanSignal",
G="gMeanSignal", Rb="gBGMedianSignal", Gb="gBGMedianSignal"),
annotation=c("ProbeName"))

This reads the green channel intensities from the file to an limma object, where
both red and green channels have exactly the same values. This is the way to
read in one-color Agilent data using read.maimages(), since limma expects that
there are two channels, and both have to be filled in.

Best Regards,
Jarno