[BioC] R help with large matrices

Atro Tossavainen atossava at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Apr 11 08:38:53 CEST 2008

Ian,

>> Unless you have a pretty big machine, you will probably not be able to
>> fit a 19,300 x 19,300 member matrix into memory.
>
> The work is being undertaken on CamGrid.
> http://www.escience.cam.ac.uk/projects/camgrid/

The problem is if you can't split the task, which you probably can't
do, the grid is irrelevant.  You will need gigabytes of address space
in a single machine just to fit the matrix: 19300^2 = 372.5M; but your
values aren't bytes, they're either float (4 bytes, therefore 1.4G),
or, more likely, double (8 bytes; 2.8G).

Chances are you will run out of addressable memory if you're trying to
execute this on a 32 bit platform (or on a 64 bit platform (such as
amd64) while using a 32-bit (x86) binary of R).

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,