[BioC] Your Open Access Paper

Phil Bourne info at scivee.tv
Wed Oct 17 21:31:26 CEST 2007

Hi:

Over the past couple of years my laboratory has become interested in scholarly
communication. To this end we have established a resource www.scivee.tv
<http://www.scivee.tv/>  where you can upload scientific video content. Of
particular interest, and the reason for this email, is the ability to upload a
5-10 minute video describing your scientific paper. For one of our first
examples see http://www.scivee.tv/node/53.

We cannot tell you what will be the long term impact of making a Pubcast, but
data for the short term (see http://www.scivee.tv/worth_it) indicates that it
renews interest in your paper. It also adds a human element to the work which
can be particularly important to young graduate students. The video also offers
an alternative means for the viewer to comprehend complex material, hopefully
furthering scientific dissemination.

More details on making a video can be found at
http://www.scivee.tv/help/list/39. The video is made available under a Creative
Commons 3.0 license (see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/) . Our data
from PubMed Central indicate your paper may be published under a more
restrictive license so please be careful you do not violate any copyrights when
making the video.

We hope you will join us in this experiment. If you have questions please see
the FAQ at http://www.scivee.tv/faq. If you fail to find an answer send email to
info at scivee.tv

This work in furthering scientific dissemination is supported by a grant from
the US National Science Foundation.

Sincerely,

Philip E. Bourne PhD
Professor, The University of California San Diego
Editor in Chief, PLoS Computational Biology