[BioC] GO graph plotting with some in color

Loren Engrav engrav at u.washington.edu
Wed Nov 28 05:29:41 CET 2007

Thank you again for discussing, I am grateful

Cost?
True, Ingenuity is like $8,000 per year and does not make graphs as I can
see, I examined Genesifter Genespring GoMiner and Gene_xyz and returned to
Bio, and the others would all love to sell something, is true, most
certainly

Still, 12 days for one graph is expensive
R and Bioconductor are not easy to use for the beginner

Like I did
> rows2  <-  read.delim(file="339namesColorsRowsBBtab.txt", sep="\t")
And the process turned ":" into "." which of course wiped out the GO terms
which read like GO:1111111, and it took perhaps an hour to learn to add
check.names=FALSE, but so for the novice

Question 1.......................
Read as one???
Ok with
> rows2  <-  read.delim(file="339namesColorsRowsBBtab.txt", sep="\t",
check.names = FALSE)
> colors  <-  as.matrix(rows2)[1,]
I can now read from one file, still two commands but is more fun

I found the as.matrix trick in an old email from Brian Ripley in 2004 which
is still findable by google

So question 1 is done, thank you

Question 2................................
As for details, I copied the code exactly from R, that is exactly what I
did, no more, no less, I am trying to comply with the detail issue, believe
me

Or perhaps you mean experimental details.  We have Duroc pigs which make
thick scar.  And Yorkshire pigs that make thin scar.  And would like to know
why Durocs make thick and perhaps how to alter this.  So we wounded the pigs
and biopsied them at 1 2 3 12 and 20 weeks. And amplified the RNA and
hybridized Affy porcine chips.  Then with Bio packages did mixed linear
regression and chose to go further with those probes with appropriate
p-value. Then cut those probes for which the bio replicates did not match.
Then cut those probes for which fold change was <1.4.  Then cut those probes
for which the Affy present absent calls were illogical.  Then cut those
probes that do not match human hypertrophic scar since we do not wish to
study a pig gene that makes a curly tail. And are left with 1,019 probes of
interest.  Some of these are dupes so we are down to 953 genes that
satisfied all the criteria. And enrichment is likely to come from DAVID but
a graph seemed cool so we did makeGoGraph and after study founds many GO
terms not relevant and cut them so am now down to 333 "relevant" terms. And
continue with the graphing process.

Read two papers??? I did, and as you might anticipate they are shall we say
"over my head".  But I think I am not trying to determine over or under
representation at this point. Just make a graph demonstrating where the 333
are located in the "universe" of BPPARENTS with incoming and outgoing edges.
But then, maybe that is simply a dumb thing to do.

But if not, then question 2, why in the plot do none of the 333 have
incoming edges? Is it possible that none of the 333 is a parent to another
of the 333?

I think I have answered this.  If I pick a known ancestor, and put it in the
"interesting" file, it appears colored.  So would appear none of the 333
have an ancestor within the 333.  Interesting. So this is a graph merged
from 333 graphs.  This then would suggest that any node, colored or not,
with lots of incoming edges becomes interesting.

So statistics and enrichment I think are not our issue at the moment.

So question3 remains. If we would obtain a graph as mentioned with incoming
and outgoing edges, would it tell any one anything? Or is enrichment the
only deal with GO?

Thank again for discussing.  I am grateful and appreciative.

Thanks again

Loren Engrav
Univ Wash
Seattle