[BioC] R_HOME and biocep

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Tue Nov 13 00:06:55 CET 2007

Hi Kenji,

Leonardo Kenji Shikida wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am working in a machine that has R installed, but I don't know how
> to discover the R_HOME value to install EBI Biocep
>
> R is installed at
>
> /usr/local/bin/R

/usr/local/bin/R RHOME

> I suppose it's been installed via RPM

You can check this with:

  rpm -qf /usr/local/bin/R

More generally 'rpm -qf path/to/some/file/or/directory' will tell you the name
of the RPM where a file/directory is coming from. Once you have it (e.g. "R-base")
then you can get more info about this RPM with:

  rpm -qi R-base

See the list of all the files/directories belonging to it:

  rpm -ql R-base

I would be surprised that /usr/local/bin/R comes from an RPM though since
/usr/local/ generally contains stuff that has been configured/compiled/installed
by hand (note that the configure script will very often default to --prefix=/usr/local).

> so I am not sure what's the R_HOME value in this case
>
> another doubt, related to EBI Biocep
>
> I've downloaded it following the instructions of this presentation
>
> www.bioconductor.org/workshops/2007/BioC2007/labs/distr/BioC2007-distR.pdf
>
> but I am having problems to make it work.
>
> I've already sent an email to kchine at ebi.ac.uk and ostolop at ebi.ac.uk a
> few days ago, without sucsess.

Please be patient. People can be too busy. Eventually you could try again in
a few days. Also, generally speaking, when you post to a mailing list, it's
not always the best strategy to put together 2 completely different issues in
the same email.

Cheers,
H.