[BioC] how to build a GOstats-compatible annotation package forplasmodium falciparum?

Al Ivens alicat at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Nov 6 09:46:19 CET 2007

Hi Paul, Marc,

<hype>
We at the Sanger Institute, having sequenced most of this beast's genome
(http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Projects/P_falciparum/), have developed arrays
for P. falciparum (the Affymetrix PFSANGER array), as well as for rodent
malarias P. berghei and P. chabaudi (Affy, RMSANGER).
</hype>
As a result we are frequently generating/updating annotation datasets
for these organisms.  I should point out that the data in NCBI/EMBL have
not been updated recently, and there have been many gene
model/annotation etc changes since sequence submission.  The most
current dataset are in GeneDB (http://www.genedb.org/genedb/malaria/).
That said, ~10 days ago we had a week-long annotation workshop/jamboree
that has refined many gene models and updated many product calls, GO
terms etc etc.  We are currently collating and QCing the annotation
changes, with a view to updating GeneDB in the near future, plus other
public data repositories.  Thus, using the "standard" annotation package
pipeline might perhaps not be appropriate, at least not in the interim?

Cheers,

al