[BioC] how to build a GOstats-compatible annotation package for plasmodium falciparum?

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Mon Nov 5 23:07:50 CET 2007

Paul Shannon wrote:
> I'm familiar with the YEAST data package, and the many chip-specific
> annotation packages --
> all of which work very nicely with GOstats.
>
> GO offers annotation for p.falciparum, the malaria parasite.  What
> would it take to
> put that into an R data package which will work with GOstats?
>
> Thanks!
>
>   - Paul

This is a good question.  The short answer is that it is entirely
possible to do it, but that it's not supported by the new annotation
pipeline at the moment.

The long answer is that I would be delighted to add this organism if
there is a strong desire for it by the community.  We are always looking
for feedback to help us know which things we should be supporting, and
this includes indications about which organisms are being studied enough
to merit an annotation package.  For me it's not a question of whether
or not I will add new stuff to the annotation packages.  It's really a
question of which stuff I should be working on first.

But because we want the annotation packages to be maximally helpful to
the largest possible group of people, we are always need information
about what you guys need.

So my question for you is this:  Is it in fact a high priority for the
community to collate a set of annotation packages about p.falciparum?

    Marc