[BioC] siggenes 1.10 na.handling

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Wed May 23 21:51:37 CEST 2007

"James W. MacDonald" <jmacdon at med.umich.edu> writes:

> Hi Yiwen,
>
> He, Yiwen (NIH/CIT) [C] wrote:
>> Hi Mr. Schwender and others,
>>

>> I've been using the na.handling function in siggenes, which becomes an
>> internal function in the latest version siggenes 1.10 (BioC 2.0). Can
>> anyone tell me how I can still make use of this internal function in the
>> new version?
>
> This all depends on how you plan to make use of the function. If you are
> using it in a package that has a NAMESPACE, you can just add siggenes to
> your imports list, or just import that function using the importFrom
> directive. See 'Writing R Extensions', in particular the section
> 'Package Name Spaces'.
>
> If you are using the function interactively, then you can use the triple
> colon operator ':::' (e.g., siggenes:::na.handler(args)).

If a function is not exported from a package, then it is _only_
accessible using ':::'.  You cannot import a non-exported function,
etc.

If this is a function you use, I would recommend contacting the
siggenes maintainer and asking if it would be possible to export this
function.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://bioconductor.org