[BioC] Combining arrays arrays from different tissues and different labs.

Kevin R. Coombes krc at mdacc.tmc.edu
Mon Mar 26 20:37:46 CEST 2007

Hi,

Most normalization methods assume (either explicitly or implicitly)
something about the distributions of values within each sample.  At the
very least, they assume that some properties of these distributions are
the same.  The case of mouse embryos and adult tissues illustrates one
of the places these assumptions are likely to be violated.  For instance,
	[1] is the number of expressed genes the same?
	[2] are there roughly equal numbers of high, medium, and low expressing
genes?
	[3] is the median expression level the same?
	[4] is the total RNA per cell the same?

Since genes are getting turned on and off at various rates in the
development from embryo to adult, and since embryonic cells are actively
proliferating and differentiating in ways that normal adult cells are
not, it seems to me that there is no good reason to believe (without
experimental data supporting it) that anything about the distributions
are the same.

If you normalize within (but not between) the two data sets, you should
be able to start to answer questions [1] and [2].  If the answers are
"yes", then it makes sense to start thinking about how to normalize
between the two data sets....

	Kevin