[BioC] Category

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Tue Mar 13 20:41:01 CET 2007

Hi Lana,
   Then basically you need to
  1) download their database
  2) map from whatever gene IDs they use to EntrezGene (maybe that is
what they are)

  3) create an incidence matrix, one row per gene set, once column per
gene where the i,jth entry contains a 1 if gene j is in gene set i

  then you can use that matrix with virtually any annotation package and
with most of the Category functions

  You could take a different approach and create a package that
contained the gene sets, each one could be its own variable, and each
gene set consists of the Entrez Gene IDs for the members. From that it
would be reasonably easy to construct the incidence matrix described
above, for any subset of gene sets of interest.

  best wishes
    Robert

--
Robert Gentleman, PhD