[BioC] Problems with gcrma using latest version of R and Bioconductor

Sebastian Bauer Sebastian.Bauer at charite.de
Fri Jul 27 16:02:44 CEST 2007

Hi,

Seth Falcon wrote:
>> I don't know if there is a method to check for mis-matched packages, but
>> there is a simple way to update your packages so in truth there should
>> be no need for such checking.
>
> Beyond Jim's suggestions, there isn't much users can do.  However,
> package developers can add specific version requirements to the
> packages listed in the Depends field of their DESCRIPTION file.  This
> will then generate an error if the package is loaded and the wrong
> version of a dependency is installed.

Thanks to you both for your explanations. Updating everything as
suggested by James did work as well.

However, I guess as the annotation packages being used by gcrma() are
loaded in a dynamic manner and packages for other species have different
versions (?) this static dependency check via the DESCRIPTION file won't
work?

In an application one would try to catch the problem at run time in
order to give the user a meaningful error message. Especially, if a new
version depends on a feature not available in previous versions. But I
don't know this is worth the effort here.

Ciao,
Sebastian