[BioC] GOHyperG stats question

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Jul 18 15:30:32 CEST 2007

Hi Suraj,

Suraj Menon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a simple question on how GOHyperG calculates hypergeometric p-values -
> is the test one-tailed or two-tailed?
> and what would be the reason for using either of them?

The test is one-tailed. See ?HyperGParams-class, in particular the
testDirection slot.

In general you would want to use a one-tailed test because you are
testing a particular hypothesis (e.g., certain GO terms are
over-represented) rather than a more general hypothesis (e.g., certain
GO terms are represented at a level not consistent with their abundance
in the universe from which they were selected). In addition, a
one-tailed test will be more powerful.

I suppose one might want to do a two-tailed test if there really were no
hypothesis being tested, but instead the goal was to see "what's going
on" in a certain experimental system.

Best,

Jim

> Cheers,