[BioC] technical vs biological replication in real-time

r.athanasiadou r.athanasiadou at sms.ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 6 17:21:08 CEST 2007

Hi everyone,
My question is of statistical nature.
I am trying to finalize the analysis of real-time PCR experiments.
I have 4 technical replicates (pipeting errors) and three biological
replicates (repeat treatment).

I use gapdh as an external reference gene.

1) Can I average all replication regardless of technical/biological?
2) Similarily can I use the standard error from the combined standard
deviations and what would the population size be in that case? (would it be
4 technical x 3 biological?)

 If I can not do the above how does someone proceed with these two different
types of replication?

I can imagine that the technical replication reflects only on the threshold
cycles and the biological replication at the actual fold
difference[2^-(threshold cycle)] but how can I combine the two differently
calculated standard errors?

I apologize that the e-mail is not directly linking to some BioC package but
there are no packages for real-time and I had nowhere else to turn!

Thanks
Niki

Swann Building
The King's Buildings