[BioC] warnings from li wong summary method in expresso

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Jan 25 19:22:41 CET 2007

Hi Marco,

marco zucchelli wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am using in R the dChip method to normalize and summarize my micro
> arrays.
> I tried several times and I always get warnings. What this does mean? Are
> the expression levels
> returned reliable anyway ?

If you don't have enough samples, the LiWong method won't converge for
some of your probesets. Lack of convergence is usually not a good thing.
I think the recommendation for using LiWong is to have at least 10 or 15
samples.

You might consider using a different method to summarize your data.

Best,

Jim

> I use R2.4.1 on linux redhat
>
> Marco
>

> eset <- expresso(hum.brain.embryo, bg.correct =
> FALSE,normalize.method="invariantset",
> pmcorrect.method = "pmonly",summary.method="liwong")
> normalization: invariantset
> PM/MM correction : pmonly
> expression values: liwong
> normalizing...done.
> 54675 ids to be processed
> |                    |
> |####################|
> There were 50 or more warnings (use warnings() to see the first 50)
>
> Warning messages:
> 1: No convergence achieved in outlier loop
>  in: fit.li.wong(probes, ...)
> 2: No convergence achieved in outlier loop
>  in: fit.li.wong(probes, ...)
> 3: No convergence achieved in outlier loop
>  in: fit.li.wong(probes, ...)
> 4: No convergence achieved in outlier loop
>  in: fit.li.wong(probes, ...)
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician