[BioC] which universe in hyperGTest

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Jan 11 17:14:10 CET 2007

marco zucchelli wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am using hyperGTest to test GO. Fot the universe of genes I use the
> follwing:
>
> ENTREZ      <- as.list(hgu133plus2ENTREZID)
> univ        <- unlist(ENTREZ)
> univ        <- univ[!is.na(univ)]
>
> now in univ there are 47,430 genes but only 19,871 are unique, since the
> same gene can be hybrydized several times on the same array.
>

>>length(univ)
>
> [1] 47430
>
>>length(unique(univ))
>
> [1] 19871
>

> Is it correct to have repetitions or should a list of unique genes be used?
> i.e. should I use:
>
> universeGeneIds=univ   or
> universeGeneIds=unique(univ)

You want the unique genes. In addition, if you have done any
pre-filtering of the data to remove e.g., those genes that don't change
expression, you want to remove those from your universe as well. The
universe should only consist of unique genes that could have been
selected by whatever statistical test you used. BTW, the geneIds should
also be unique.

Seth has made some changes to the GOstats vignette that should make all
of this quite clear:

http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.0/bioc/vignettes/GOstats/inst/doc/GOstatsHyperG.pdf

Best,

Jim