[BioC] normexp

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jan 8 12:29:11 CET 2007

Dear Yolande,

are you sure that you really want to "make up" data in this way? Among
other things, censoring data in such a way messes up the noise
distribution and will distort any inference you might want to make (e.g.
statistical tests for differential expression). A better approach would
be to replace such "0" values with NA (if that is what they really
mean), and look for subsequent normalization and testing methods that
can deal with NA.

I do not know what causes your problem with the "normexp" background
correction. You could also try "vsn" (from the package of the same name
or by using the option in the "normalizeBetweenArrays" function). The
glog transformation in vsn, and the normexp background correction and
subsequent log transformation, attempt to address the same problem,
although the computations and the theoretical motivations are different.

  Best wishes
    Wolfgang