[BioC] can I use FDR correction with hyperGTest conditional GO method?

Mark W Kimpel mwkimpel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 21:39:20 CET 2007

Robert,

I understand exactly what you are saying and I think I have a reasonable
understanding of what FDR correction does, as least in the "perfect"
statistical situation where no tests are dependent on one another and
everything is normally distributed. That's easy, at least statistically.

But, of course, that is not the reality we deal with in statistics of
microarrays. We know for certain that the expression of many genes are
dependent on expression of others, heck that's how the whole thing
works! Most of the time, however, we don't know which genes are
dependent on which others, that is often the point of our experiments,
for example, I stimulate this drug with this receptor and I see what
happens. Given this, it seems that there is a consensus that some FDR
correction is better than none, so we can select from a number of
methods depending on whether we want to error on the side of caution or
want to lessen our FNR at the cost of possibly raising the true FDR
(which we can never know for sure).

Given that, it is clear that GO analysis, as previously implemented by
such programs as David, Ease, and GOstats, had way too much dependency
built into the parent-child relationships to accomodate FDR correction.

Alexa, et. al (2006) seem to contend that their conditional method
"decorrelates" the graph structure of GO, and this led to to wonder
whether we could now apply an FDR correction that would be acceptable
for publication. There is certainly some duplication and dependence, but
it has been substantially addressed by the conditional method that has
been incorporated into hyperGTest of package "GOstats".

I feel like it is better than nothing, but I am not a professional
statistician and would like some guidance and see if there is a
consensus before I proceed with an analysis for publication.

As an aside, I have written a somewhat time-consuming function that
iterates over gradually decreasing p-values, calculates the FDR for each
iteration using the qvalue method of Storey, and yields the parameters
that give the optimal p value to use to keep FDR < a predetermined
amount and still maximize the number of categories returned. I don't
think that is cheating, it is to me the same logic that is applied to
setting parameters in SAM of package siggenes.

Interesting discussion and one that I hope will provide for some
continued scholarly debate.

Mark

--
Mark W. Kimpel MD