[BioC] can I use FDR correction with hyperGTest conditional GO method?

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Mon Feb 12 19:22:23 CET 2007

Hi Mark,
   There has been a fair amount of discussion of these issues already,
searching the mailing list will help to reveal the salient points.

   The most important question here is what do *you* think p-value
correction is going to do for you?  In my opinion (and lots of folks
seem to have different views), p-value corrections do two things for us.
Both are related to the observation that under a composite null (all
hypotheses are false), that the smallest p-value when testing 10K
hypotheses is much smaller than the smallest p-value when testing 5K.
And most of us need some help deciding/interpreting these outputs.

1) If you test some large number of hypotheses, p-value corrections
allow you to interpret the p-values in some holistic way. Here one, is
trying to answer the question of whether any (or how many) of the
hypotheses are truly false. And it sort of works, but basically the
"correction", is almost always a reduction in the significance level,
and so not only do you enrich the set of "called false" hypotheses for
truly false, you also make more errors of the other kind (not rejecting
hypotheses that are false).

2) If you have two experiments, one with 5K hypotheses, and one with
10K, then p-value corrections allow you to "align" the evidence, and to
compare in some sensible way the two experiments.

I am not aware of any other contributions that these methods can make,
but perhaps others will enlighten us.

  Now, when we turn our attention to GO, the problem is not one of
p-value correction, but one of philosophy, again in my view. Consider
the following situation (which does often arise).

  Consider two nodes in the GO graph, with a parent child relationship,
and further consider a given set of data, where you have some set of
tested genes (which define your universe) and some set of genes you have
decided are *special*. Next we find, that for these two nodes in the
graph, the same set of genes are annotated at both (for all genes in the
organism this will not be true, but we didn't measure them all and we
only get to work with what we measured). So now, the two p-values from
your Hypergeometric test are identical. No amount of p-value correction
(or even p-value psychotherapy) will change that. So which node do you
report? This is entirely philosophy and not mathematics.  Current
scientific practice is to report the more specific of the nodes, and to
only make more general claims (eg I cured cancer, over less general
ones, I cured person X, who had cancer) when there is additional
evidence, over and above that needed for the specific claim. That is the
point of the conditional analyses.

  Now of course, a much better way to do the whole thing is to use GSEA
(eg the Category package), but then you will eventually end up back at
the same place. When you are dealing with dependent hypotheses, there is
always going to be a philosophical, not just a mathematical, issue to
deal with.

  best wishes
    Robert

--