[BioC] biocLite to install a local binary sourced package for mac

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Dec 7 17:14:34 CET 2007

Weiwei Shi wrote:
> Hi,
> I am working from China and the internet from home is really slow; I cannot
> use biocLite("hgu133a") to install the package. I knew maybe I could install
> it from downloaded one; but the menu for biocLite function is not very clear
> on how to proceed.

If you already have a downloaded package (and are sure it is the correct
version for the version of R/BioC that you are using), then biocLite()
is not the correct function. Instead you want

install.packages("packagename", repos=NULL)

Note that the package has to be in the current working directory or you
have to supply the path.

> btw, when I use mac to download the package, it automatically unzip it. How
> could I make it into .tgz again? I assume biocLite only install .tgz file,
> right?

Not sure about that one. I don't use the binaries on my Mac. However I
would assume that install.packages() cares very little if the binary is
zipped or not.

Best,

Jim

--