[BioC] Rgraphviz load problem

Li.Long at isb-sib.ch Li.Long at isb-sib.ch
Mon Apr 16 16:45:31 CEST 2007

I digged a bit deeper into Mac OS business...

Following are from Apple:

(1) Mac platform includes more than one processor families, and different
processors use different endians  (this implies BIG differences in
binaries)

(2) compiling libraries as universal binaries EVEN IF you are exclusively
targeting an Intel-based Mac, as the libs may be used by a PowerPC binary
running under Rosetta.

(3) building executables as universal binaries in general

(4) most common problems when compiling for various architectures are
results from  a. assuming the build host is architecturally similar to the
target machine, (b) trying to determine target-processor-specific info at
configuration time rather than at compile time or execution time

(one reference is:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/PortingUnix/)

>From the reported issues/difficulties/problems, I suspect the main issue
is the differences in processor type.  That could explain pretty much all.

So what I would suggest for Daniel to try is: install all pieces from
sources (including graphviz, R, Rgraphviz).  That gives a better chance of
getting all the compiler options consistent, and the resulting libraries
and executables have no problem seeing each other.

Li