[BioC] matrix row/column displayed as a list

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Tue Apr 10 16:16:46 CEST 2007

Daniel Brewer <daniel.brewer at icr.ac.uk> writes:
>> This is very strange.  Daniel, can you post the matrixExample.rdata
>> file somewhere I could download it?

> Hi,
> Here is a URL where you can download the file from:
> http://www.crukdmf.icr.ac.uk/matrixExample.rdata
>
> Also, to give a bit of background.  This matrix is a cut down version of
> a matrix I constructed from a GSE object using the GEOquery package.
>
> Many thanks for looking into this.

The matrixExample2 object in the .rdata file is actually a list with
dimension attributes stuck on it.  I get:

> typeof(matrixExample2)
[1] "list"

I'm find it hard to see how this could be desired behavior and is
something that probably needs a fix at the R level.  I suspect that
the class() function needs to not return "matrix" for lists with dim
and only for atomic vectors with dim.

It would be helpful to track down the code that is generating this
list/matrix.  Almost certainly there is an easy fix that will create a
proper matrix.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://bioconductor.org