[BioC] CDF/Probe/Annotation for GNF1m custom chip

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Apr 9 15:28:47 CEST 2007

Hi Cei,

Cei Abreu-Goodger wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Kasper.
>
> I now have cdf and probe packages for Mouse and Human GNF affy chips. Is
> there some way I could contribute these to bioconductor?

We only provide cdf and probe packages for commercially available Affy
chips, specifically excluding custom chips. There are two reasons for this:

1.) A custom chip implies that the chip was produced specifically for
one (or a very small group of) researcher(s). Because these chips won't
be widely distributed, it doesn't make sense to spend the time and
effort to maintain these packages.

2.) The cdf and probe packages for custom chips are not freely
downloadable from Affy's website. We re-build the cdf and probe packages
for every release, so we have to be able to easily get the original
source data. In addition, there may be legal issues concerning the
ownership of the custom chip cdf and probe data that we don't want to
get involved with.

But thanks for the offer!

Best,

Jim