[BioC] Unexpectedly high FDR using contrasts in Limma?

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Fri Apr 6 16:43:47 CEST 2007

Hi Gordon,

> It all looks normal and expected to me.  Are you surprised that you
> get a significant MBD1
> comparison but not DBL-MBD1?  Don't forget that direct comparison
> are more precision, and hence
> more powerful, than indirect comparisons.

I was REALLY hoping that I was doing something wrong... :(

I know that the direct comparison is more powerful (although I don't
know just *how much* more powerful), and the problem here is that we
might want to use different controls in the future, so this way I can
add a new control experiment easily, without repeating the whole
experiment again.

I am surprised and not. It surprises me because the difference is
remarkable (at least it looks that way to me) between the DBL
experiment (no effect) and the MBD1 experiment (clearcut effect), at
least for 10-20 genes. At the same time, these experiments were tough,
in that there is a lot of biological variation: for each experiment 3
replicates were made, and they vary a lot in the level of the observed
effect... so I guess yeah, it's not that surprising to see that when I
make a contrast, the overall variation is high enough that it makes it
too difficult to pick out any individual gene with any degree of
confidence.
I was still hoping, 'though :-)

> Look at the  stdev.unscaled from limma and you'll see
> that larger values for DBL-MBD1.

Indeed, from 0.58 on MBD1 to 0.87 in DBL-MBD1.

> Other things like including a dye-effect, background correcting, or
> otherwise checking the data
> often help give more powerful results.

I thought the dye effect is incorporated by default in limma, without
specifying it implicitly. I noticed that background correction can
have a big effect on the final results. I really don't like straight
substraction of background estimates, when the estimate is simply the
signal measured locally around the spots. I try to use estimates based
on signal from spots that have DNA spotted but don't hybridise, if I
can, and substract that. I've tried other methods, normexp can work
pretty well once you hit the right offset...

I've been meaning to try single channel analysis in limma. I wonder if
that could help me improve matters a little, by allowing me to compare
MBD1 against DBL directly... however, the bottomline remains that
there's a lot of variation in these experiments so if the preliminary
results look ok, we might just have to increase the number of slides
(we have the slides, for free, it's only the cost of transfections +
labelling).

Hmmm, gotta think.

many thanks for your reply, Gordon, it was helpful as usual, just not
what I wanted to hear :-)

best,

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374