[BioC] probe expression profile to gene expression profile

Weiwei Shi helprhelp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 19:08:54 CEST 2007

Dear All:

Here is a general question and I apologize if it is a little bit off
topic (but I believe bioconductor must have some solution for that.)

Is there a guideline or good tool to get "gene" expression profile
from "probe" expression profile? In this process, I am concerned that
such tool or guide should address the issues of "multiple probes to
one gene" and "one probe to multiple genes".

I believe it is a non-trivial process and automation  of this process
might not be easy:

for example, for the former issue, how do you get an "average"
expression from multiple probles for one gene? for the latter, which
gene do you believe is the "right" one for the probe.

Any recommendation is appreciated !

--
Weiwei Shi, Ph.D
Research Scientist