[BioC] showcase (script)

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Sat Mar 18 23:31:51 CET 2006

toxygen wrote:
> Dear users,
> I would like to ask you, whether there exists any "showcase" of bioconductor's main features and if not,
> whether is anyone able to make it.
> Some kind of a script or something which when ran would show or preferably explaine main features.
> I think it would be great for novices (as I am) which are trying to understand bioconductor.
> Maybe some visualizations of sample data, explaining texts to various functions and so...

Well, Bioconductor consists of over 150 packages at present, so I think
something like this could only just scratch the surface. However, most
of the packages come with at least one vignette that is supposed to give
novices an example they can use to explore use of the package.

If you have some BioC packages installed you can do something like

library(Biobase)
library(<the package you are interested in>)
openVignette()

You can also step through the code in a given vignette if you have the
tkWidgets package installed.

source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite("tkWidgets")
library(tkWidgets)
library(<the package you are interested in>)
vExplorer()

HTH,

Jim

> what do you think of it?