[BioC] Limma Design Matrix: How many levels can each factor have?

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Mar 14 16:52:18 CET 2006

Xia Han wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have a drug treament experiments with 3 factors (cell lines,
> compounds, and time course). There are 3 cell lines, 3 compounds (DMSO
> control, compounds 1 and 2), and 2 time points (4hr and 24hr). When I
> try to build a design matrix by something like this:
> design <- model.matrix(~cell.lines*compound*time)
> I only get 2 cell lines, 2 compounds (DMSO and compound1) and 2 time
> points.
> If I use something like this, which is really what I want to compare:
> design <- model.matrix(~cell.lines + compound + compound*time)
> I still only get 2 cell lines and 2 compounds in the design matrix.
>
> Anything I did wrong? Please help.

You didn't do anything wrong, but it appears you don't understand your
design matrix. This is a big problem, since it is fundamental to
understanding what you are doing. Have you looked at the limma user's
guide? There are many examples including time course experiments that
are explained in some detail.

This is a fairly complex experiment, and you may be better served if you
can find a local statistician who can help you analyze these data.

Best,

Jim