[BioC] info su illumina

Mark Dunning md392 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 6 15:26:14 CET 2006

Sean,

It seems to me that the problem with normalising via BeadStudio is that
all of the normalisation methods they implement (cubic spline, average
scaling, rank invariant etc...) are automatically accompanied by a
"background normalisation" which is a subtraction using an average of
negative controls. The subtraction is done on the unlogged scale so
that lower intensity genes get affected much more so we see a
characteristic fanning effect. I don't recall seeing an explanation of
why Illumina prefer this method. However, in the BeadStudio manual they
do say "Applying the technique [of background normalisation] allows for
more quantitative assessments of fold-change differences, especially
for genes with dim signals". Note that this background normalisation is
in addition to a local background correction which is done to obtain
the bead level intensities.

Within BeadStudio it is possible to output data without any
normalisation (this is the only way to avoid this background
subtraction normalisation that Illumina does)  and this can be read
into R using beadarray or other methods. The non-normalised data is
generally high quality and we see good reproducibility between arrays.
So far I have used quantile and qspline methods (on both bead level and
bead summary data) and I don't think there is a need for anything more
complicated. Of course, normalisation on bead level data is probably
going to be preferable, but I don't know what affect this actually has
(yet!). I haven't yet incorporated the detection scores into the
analysis anywhere.

Regards,

Mark