[BioC] query gramene from biomaRt package

Arek Kasprzyk arek at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jun 23 16:54:05 CEST 2006

On 23 Jun 2006, at 15:49, sdurinck wrote:

> Hi Tine,
>
> The biomaRt package queries a central webservice at EBI to determine
> which BioMart database is available and how it can access it.  As soon
> as Gramene is included in this central webservice,  it will be
> automatically available for use with biomaRt.  You could ask the
> Gramene
> developers and developers at http://www.biomart.org to include Gramene
> in this system.
>
> As long as Gramene is not in this central webservice biomaRt won't
> detect it.  In this case you could still use the biomaRt package in
> MySQL mode if there is public MySQL access to the BioMart database,
> however as far as I know this is not the case for Gramene.
>
> The last option is that you have a local installation of the Gramene
> BioMart database and use biomaRt in MySQL mode to query it.

yes Steffen is right. I am cc'ing Will Spooner who is a lead on Gramene
development
so he can comment on the possible timeline for that. Gramene needs to
either expose
public rdbms server or upgrade to 0.4 which would provide access through
web services. We'll then pick it up on the central server

a.

> best,
> Steffen
>

> Quoting Tine Casneuf <tineke.casneuf at ebi.ac.uk>:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Has anyone managed to query the gramene database from the biomaRt
>> package or can anyone point me to documentation on it? I would like
>> search for information on Arabidopsis thaliana which is in the
>> database.
>>

>> Many thanks in advance,
>>
>> Tine

-------