[BioC] R command history on unix version

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Jun 14 16:54:43 CEST 2006

Hi Jianping,

Jianping Jin wrote:
> Dear list:
>
> On the Windows version one can bring back R command history at the prompt
> by using a up-ward arrow key. Unfortunately I can not do the same thing on
> a Sun unix machine. I am wondering if one can set up the history function
> or command editing function, what ever you call that, with the unix version
> of R?

It depends on how you run R. If you are running at a terminal prompt,
then I think you have to have readline installed. In that case, you can
use up and down arrows just like on win32. However, running at a
terminal is IMO really not the way to do things. I much prefer to use
Xemacs/ESS with R as an inferior process. In that case you can use M-p
and M-n (Alt-p and Alt-n for non-(X)emacs folks) to go up and down in
the history.

On win32, adding this to my init.el file makes the up and down arrows
work just like the Rgui, but doesn't seem to work on Linux.

(eval-after-load
    "comint"
    '(progn
       (setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output 'others) ; not current
       ;;=default: (setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input nil)
       (setq comint-scroll-show-maximum-output t) ;;; this is the key
       (define-key comint-mode-map [up]
         'comint-previous-matching-input-from-input)
       (define-key comint-mode-map [down]
         'comint-next-matching-input-from-input)

       (define-key comint-mode-map "\C-a" 'comint-bol)))

HTH,

Jim

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Jianping